Thursday, June 10, 2010

On to Nantucket

We stopped at Montauk after a couple of 100+ nm days to take shelter from waht was expected to be 45+ kt winds in a rapidaly moving low that came up from the south. Turned out that the storm fizzled and all we got was rain and max 25 kt wind.

Today we are going to Nantucket. It is right on the way to Nova Scotia and JD has been reading Moby Dick (Nantucket was a whaling center and the Pequod sailed from there). We have booked a slitp in the Basin at Main Street and a B&B on Chestnut Street just a 5 minute walk away. Then on to Nova Scotia with expectred arrival in Lunenburg to clear customs on the 16th and into Martins River on Mahone Bay on nthe 17th.

Want to lose some weight? Take a cruise on a small sailboat like a Flicka. We have not been sea sick, but the appetite is not big and we use up the clarories we take in, plus some. My pants are now so loose around my waist that they would fall off without a belt which is on its tightest hole. We mostly snack on things like crackers with peanut butter or cheese, Chex-Mix (Traditional), Oreo cookies, Planters peanuts, and M&Ms. JD got the M&Ms with peanuts and I got the plain, and that is how we distinguish his packs of rations from mine. We have one nice hot meal each day usually in the evening fefore the start of the 8 o'clock watch.

Our watch pattern is JD does 8 to midnight, I do midnight to 4 AM, JD does 4 to 8 AM, and I do 8 AM to noon. We are usually both up from noon to 8 PM. Sail changes usually get us both involved although JD has gotten really good at doing it solo so as to not disturb my slumber. We are now so far east that the pre-dawn gray is coming on when I go to "bed" at 4 AM. We are north enough where we live in our fleece and bundle multiple layers at ni8ght.

Woody

1 comment:

  1. I spoke to Charles Huneycutt today! I was surprised to hear his voice. He made it to Bermuda sailing solo in 7 days on a starboard tack beam reach from Southport, NC. He said he learned that he made history in his Flicka. It was the first 20 foot boat to sail to Bermuda in 20 years. He plans on departing Bermuda on a port tack beam reach this Saturday 6-12. He said Cruising World interviewed him and his solo adventure will be posted on their web-site. He also met a guy from Washington, NC that is curcumnavigating the globe! Charles and I keep our boats at Salem Lake in Winston-Salem, NC. He helped me rig my jib/mainsail halyards and camcleats on my 1979 Bayliner Buccaneer. He also taught me how to sail in high winds! Thanks Charles and congratulations!

    Jamie Pfefferkorn
    336-409-8878
    fortunecashflow@aol.com
    www.thereelfhtm.net

    ReplyDelete